According to the Bismarck Tribune two Bismarck Police Officers were cleared of any wrong doing. Sgt. Dustin Miller and Detective Lance Allerdings were placed on administrative leave for the incident with Cody Carnes on January 9th. Cody Carnes was killed in the incident after alleged threats of a bomb and use of weapons.

The Burleigh County State's Attorney Julie Lawyer reviewed the case and The North Dakota Bureau Of Criminal Investigation concluded their investigation. Julie Lawyer said, "Based on the paranoid and threatening behaviors Carnes had been engaging in within the weeks leading up to the incident and Carnes pointing a gun at officers outside his window, I find that the officers' shooting of Carnes was justifiable."

The incident happened at a condominium at 139 Riverside Park Road. Police had multiple calls that evening. One was due to noisy sawing and hammering, one was due to Carnes stating he had weapons and would use them if anyone came into his house. The third was a delivery driver stating Cody Carnes brandished a handgun and said he had other firearms. More then 20 officers responded to the residence of Cody Carnes.

Authorities recieved an arrest warrant and West Dakota Swat officers were unsuccessful getting Carnes to surrender.

According to KFYR-TV, in Febraury a 25-year-old man who was wanted for armed robbery in Idaho was shot and killed by law enforement in Dickinson, North Dakota. Dakota Lee Chlarson was wanted for a warrant for a armed robbery in Idaho by the U.S. Marshals Service's High Plains Fugitive Task Force.

U.S. Marshals Service's High Plains Fugitive Task Force recieved information that Dakota Lee Chlarson could be staying at 305 Sims Street in Dickinson and the Task Force Responded. When U.S. Marshals entered the apartment a stand off occurred. Officers negotiated and tried getting Chlarson to surrender. They used less than lethal devices to gain compliance, but were unsuccessful. Officers say Chlarson charged at officers with scissors and officers protected themselves by shooting Dakota Lee Chlarson. He died from his wounds.

The U.S. Marshals service says two Bismarck police officers assigned to the task force are on administrative leave, which is a standard department policy. The North Dakota Bureau of Investigation will investigate the shooting.



More From US 103-3