Leftover Thanksgiving Recipes
Now the Holiday is over, but you still have food leftovers from Thanksgiving. Here are two ideas on what to do with them. Recipe number 1: The Turkey Montecristo
Here's a nice way to use some of that leftover bird but also make a sandwich that is pretty awesome in itself. Here's the recipe from Nutmegnanny.
Turkey Monte Cristo
This turkey Monte Cristo is made with cranberry sauce, arugula, leftover turkey and Swiss cheese. Perfectly grilled and gluten free! This is the perfect sandwich for using up all those Thanksgiving leftovers!
yield: 4 SANDWICHES
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
total time:20 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Udi's gluten free white sandwich bread
- 8 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 cups leftover turkey slices or chunks
- 4 small handfuls arugula
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar
In a shallow dish whisk together egg and milk. Season with kosher salt and pepper and set aside.
Lay out 4 slices of bread and top in this order - 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce, 1 slice Swiss cheese, equal amount of leftover turkey and 1 handful of arugula. Cover the other slices of bread with 1 tablespoon each of cranberry sauce and top the sandwich.
In a large skillet or griddle set over medium heat add 2 tablespoons butter. Let the butter melt and get hot.
Once the butter is hot dip the sandwich (both sides) into the egg mixture and add to the skillet. The bread slices are small than normal bread so depending on the size of your skillet or griddle you can fit anywhere from 2 to 4 sandwiches. Cook until the bottom is golden browns and flip. If the skillet needs more butter add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
When you remove the sandwich from the skillet the cheese should be melted (and the inside of the sandwich will be hot) and the outside will be golden brown. Serve hot with extra cranberry sauce and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Recipe number 2: The Ultimate Turkey Club:
I don't know about you but the turkey club on its own is pretty delicious but this is a simple way to take advantage of those leftover turkey slices and creating a new version of a classic. The recipe is from Oh sweet basil.com.
THE ULTIMATE LEFTOVER TURKEY CLUB
- 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- ¾ pound leftover turkey
- ½ cup leftover cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup mayo
- 6 slices cooked bacon cut in half
- Sliced red onion
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix mayo and cranberry sauce together
- Spread cranberry mayo on all six pieces of bread.
- Pile ¼ of the turkey onto two slices of bread and top with lettuce, followed by 2 slices of bacon, cheddar cheese and red onion.
- Place other piece of bread on top, cranberry side down.
- Spread middle piece of bread with one ounce of cream cheese.
- Top with turkey, followed by lettuce, bacon, cheese and red onion.
- Place toothpicks in corners of sandwich.
- Place on sheet pan and bake until cheese is melted.
Hopefully these worked out for you because that's just the tip of the iceberg . There are more recipes to come !